For the benefit of new members who keep seeing our posts urging you to enter SOLs and SOULs but aren’t sure what we’re on about….
SOL = Scottish Orienteering League (sponsored by CompassPoint)
– larger events – 350-400 runners on average
– a full range of courses to choose from including Black and Short Green/Blue/Brown
– better quality mapping and organisation with loos and often traders/food stalls
– online entry system and very little Entry On The Day
– your result earns you SOL ranking points and the chance to win trophies by age class
SOUL = Scottish Orienteering Urban League (sponsored by bto solicitors)
– all as above but in an urban environment including parks, streets, estates, alleyways, waste ground
– usually 5 or 6 courses all TD3 or Orange standard where route choice is key to a successful run
– the chance to earn ranking points for the SOUL categories where age classes are grouped together
If you’ve not tried a big event yet why not give SOUL 3 at Aboyne and/or SOL 4 at Glen Dye a go the first w/e in May – right on our doorstep, friendly faces you know, the chance to munch on some excellent baking from ScotJOS and Banchory Schools Team – what’s stopping you?
Online entries open already on OEntries with closing date of 26th April for both events.