We want clubs, volunteers and participants to feel safe, confident and also enjoy their first experiences returning to orienteering events.
So Scottish Orienteering have put together an Event Guidance document detailing anti-C19 measures to be taken by planners and organisers and a COVID-19 Risk Assessment, both of which have been approved by Scottish Government and we also have the support of sportscotland.
What are these new anti-C19 measures?
Simple things to minimise the amount of person-to-person contact and the risk of person-object-person transmission including, but not limited to, the following:
- We ask runners to register in advance by email/form so we have full contact details for trace and protect if required, i.e. no registration on the day at the event.
- Payment by contactless card/phone at the event (or bank transfer/invoice if no phone signal there) or we may use one of the online entry systems for larger events. Cash will be accepted but card/phone preferred.
- Pre-allocated start times to spread you all out.
Please try to arrive at the Start in time to go when you’re supposed even though it’ll be a punching start. For larger events we will mark out start boxes with ample room for you to maintain a safe distance from each other.
- When checking in/paying, collecting maps or at download we ask you to keep a safe distance from each other and the event officials and follow their instructions.
- When out on the course keep a safe distance from other competitors who are not in your household/bubble (no fighting to get to a control – that extra 2 seconds saved isn’t worth it!)
- Obviously, keep a safe distance from members of the public using the same area too.
- We won’t be displaying results at events but on our website later (oooh! how retro?!) nor will we be giving out splits stubs either.
We know you’ll still want to discuss route choices and times with your mates/rivals afterwards but don’t forget to maintain that safe distance while you do so. No crowding around a map or phone screen in the heat of the moment please!
- When waiting for other members of your family/party to return please observe the current government guidance on group gatherings and distancing.
- Sanitiser will be provided and we ask you to use this prior to handling loan equipment and feel free to use it after your run too.
- We will be disinfecting/quarantining our equipment in between events.
- Loan SI dibbers will still be available if you don’t have your own and we’ll dish them out in pre-labelled envelopes to avoid too much handling.
If you really don’t want to handle a loan SI dibber then you could always self-time and we’ll include you in the results for local events or you can just go for a non-comp run (we’d far rather see you out there enjoying yourself!) but in either case please make sure to report back to download when you’ve finished.
- We won’t be able to hold car keys in one big pot like we used to but you’re welcome to put yours in your own individual bag and leave it with us.
- Finally, if you have any C19 symptoms, even just feel unwell on the day of the event, are currently still shielding or in isolation/quarantine post-hols, please do not come this time.
The woods will wait for you a while longer.