Thank-you everyone for coming along and giving Poker-O a go. I know it all sounded a bit daunting at the start “what, no map?!”, but I think all those brave enough to try it enjoyed themselves. Maybe even found a few delicious raspberries en-route? The medium course was very short (long story) – but packed in plenty of controls. Perhaps a warm up for the Urban Series starting next week at Duthie Park?
Results below – as complete as I can get them. I put the score brikkes through the download software so they counted the controls ‘properly’. Mostly!
I’ll leave the rules up in case you are still wondering what happened to you last night. Great to see the full age range of competitors; M2 – M80 (or is that the length of a traffic jam …). That’s what I love about orienteering.
That’s the summer series for another year. Thank-you for coming along and a special thanks to all the organisers on the front line ( planners) and all those working behind the scenes sorting permissions, GAC, equipment, BBQs, awards, maps, fixture lists, website info, controlling and welcoming new members. And if you have any ideas about changes/improvements to the series, please let someone from the committee know.
In the 40 minute time limit, visit as many controls as you can and build the best poker card hand.
- Competitors DO NOT carry a map
- There is a map of the whole course at the start and at each control
- Each competitor is dealt 5 playing cards (just before start)
- Each control has a bag containing 3 playing cards
- ONE card may be exchanged at each control, per visit
- Cards from different packs may, and should be mixed freely
- Any control may be visited any number of times, but no extra points are gained
- Another control must be visited between card exchanges at the same control (eg to exchange two cards at one control you have swap the first card, visit another control and then return to swap the second card … if it is still there)
- 23 controls are part of score event, there are controls out that are not part of the score event (and do not have maps or cards attached) … and do not count as ‘visiting another control’
- Points are awarded per control visited and by value of poker hand. Points are forfeited for any time taken over 40 mins
- Winner is runner with highest score. Fastest time is used for ranking in the event of tied scores
- Organiser’s decision is final!
- Exchanging cards with other competitors is not allowed
- Bribing the dealer is obviously not permitted at all
For each control on score course: 10 points (total available 230 points)
For poker hands (see also this PDF of poker-o scores):
Royal Flush 200
Straight Flush 150
Five of a Kind* 120
Four of a Kind 100
Full House 80
Three of a Kind 40
Two Pairs 30
High Card 10
*Five of a Kind is not a normal poker hand, and is not illustrated on sheet, but is possible here because multiple packs of cards are being used.
Time penalties: minus 10 points for every minute or part thereof over 40 minutes.
Card penalties: minus 10 points for any lost cards.
There is no ranking of scores by card rank (eg a pair of Jacks has same value as a pair of 2’s).
Tied scores (sum of control, card and penalty points) are sorted by run time, faster time wins.
5 thoughts on “Templars – 26/08/2015 – Results”
PS to Alex’s poker points – you may think it doesn’t matter but this might be the one and only time he manages to beat his big sister at an O event.
Poker points updated. Thanks for letting me know (I thought it was a bit odd but hadn;t made the connection).
Thanks Helen for a very enjoyable (in a strange sort of way!) event. I think you gave Patrick the 120 poker points that Alex was due! He was very proud of his 5 of a kind. Patrick never collected any cards.
Oh David K – I think you’ve been trumped this time. (Do trumps count in Poker?)
No trumps don’t count in poker. They count in trumps! Hmm, perhaps some people are going to struggle with this, Is it worth pointing out that you get 10 points for a ‘high card’ anyway (as long as you don;t lose any cards, then the bonus will be negated by your penalty points …. especially if you go over time looking for it ….). May not get final results tonight ….