For the benefit of new members who keep seeing our posts urging you to enter SOLs and SOULs but aren’t sure what we’re on about….
SOL = Scottish Orienteering League (sponsored by CompassPoint)
– larger events – 350-400 runners on average
– a full range of courses to choose from including Black and Short Green/Blue/Brown
– better quality mapping and organisation with loos and often traders/food stalls
– online entry system and very little Entry On The Day
– your result earns you SOL ranking points and the chance to win trophies by age class
SOUL = Scottish Orienteering Urban League
– all as above but in an urban environment including parks, streets, estates, alleyways, waste ground
– usually 5 or 6 courses all TD3 or Orange standard where route choice is key to a successful run
– the chance to earn ranking points for the SOUL categories where age classes are grouped together
If you’ve not tried a big event yet why not give SOUL 5 at Grantown on Spey 25th Sept and/or SOUL 8 in Perth 18th Sept a go – almost on our doorstep, bound to be some friendly Gramp faces you know, and maybe even the chance to munch on some excellent baking in aid of ScotJOS, the national junior squad.